Christ Church Infant School Maths Calculation Policy
This calculation policy has been devised to support understanding of the expectations for fluency of the 2014 National Curriculum and the progression of calculation concepts through a child’s mathematical development.
- Specific practical equipment and approaches have been suggested for each age group to support children in developing the conceptual understanding that will enable them to move more rapidly and efficiently towards the formal written methods expected in late KS1 and KS2.
- It is expected that teachers will work towards the fluency goals for each age group, but where necessary, teachers will use approaches and materials from earlier year groups to bridge any gaps in a child’s understanding.
- Teachers will have an understanding of the expectations and progression for all year groups, regardless of which year they teach.
- The ‘Developing Conceptual Understanding’ section illustrates how to build children’s understanding of the mathematical concept by using a range of manipulatives and representations.
- The ‘With Jottings… or in Your Head’ sections list the National Curriculum expectations of the year group for mental calculation.
Click on the link below to download the full policy